Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hey y'all.

Well, since most of my friends that I follow are on Blogspot, I guess it's about time I make the switch. I told my family and friends back home I would start a blog so they could stay updated on my life, so here it is! (Don't worry Tumblr...I'll be back!)

A little bit about where my life is going right now. In the spring of 2010, I finished my undergrad at Birmingham-Southern College with a BS in Biology. Over the next year, I completed my student teaching at a local middle school and high school. In January 2011, I was fortunate enough to be hired at a private school in Birmingham, where I had my own science classroom full of my very own tenth graders.While I loved every second I spent with these kids (I cried several times during my last week), I knew that my time was short lived, as I had already decided to start a masters program in Cleveland, OH. I spent that summer working as a camp counselor at a camp just outside of Birmingham. This camp was a place that, last year, helped me to realize what I love in my life, and it became one of the experiences that I held on to over the year. It was a bittersweet time, since I knew this would be my last time at Camp for a while. I made a lot of new friends there this summer, and I had the time of my life teaching kids how to canoe and how to work together as a team.

But of course, July came to an end, and after spending a few weeks in wonderful Birmingham, I packed up my trusty Jetta, ate one last meal at Los Amigos, said "see ya later" to all my friends, and drove on up to Cleveland. I got a little stir crazy in the car about midway through (would I ever make it out of Kentucky??), but Ohio was there soon enough, and before I knew it, I was driving through my new neighborhood.

I got everything set up, though I slept on an air mattress for a couple weeks, and I am still waiting on a few pieces of furniture. But I have all the necessities, so it's all good. But, not gonna lie, I am really ready for a dresser, because right now all my clothes are in piles on the floor. I am ready for some organization!!

Classes got started pretty soon after that. If you are not interested in hearing about this, then this is the point where you stop reading the blog....because I'm in grad school. And classes are what I do. Just FYI. I am taking....

Advanced Ecology (lots of papers to read, lots of presentations! Learning a lot about experimental design)
Aquatic Resources (labs are all in the field, so this means I spend my Saturday mornings wading through ponds collecting algae or seining for fish aka AWESOMENESS)
Biology Seminar (speakers from the community come talk about their research. Get to meet some pretty awesome people here.)
Anatomy and Physiology (not really taking this, but I am the graduate assistant for this lab. So I still get to do some teaching, which is great.)

You will get to hear a lot more about those, don't worry. I also have the research component of my Masters. Right now I am reading a lot of primary literature, but once I get started writing my proposal, I think I will be ready to share with the world what I am doing.

As for the people, my adviser is awesome, the professors are super cool, and the friends I have made are pretty fun. My roommate and I hosted a taco party (complete with paper mustaches) last weekend, which I feel like was pretty much a huge hit. While I don't feel like I have that much of a Southern accent, most people here say I do, which I understand. I definitely feel it whenever I say "y'all!" But I am proud of my Alabama/Texas roots, so I just own it!

So that's a little of what's going on in my life right now. Hopefully I will remember to use this thing, so I can keep those that are interested in my Cleveland life updated. Enjoy!

Bye y'all!

4 comments:

  1. Grad school, year one: intimidating but awesome. Grad school, year two: intimidating and horrifying. I'm sorry, did that sound pessimistic? I'm just drowning in a pool of work and tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting! I encounter lots of reptiles and creepy crawlies here in Ecuador, but I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to mail them to you? Anyway, have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C-Ray: No. It is just boring and rainy...like Alabama in November. LAME.

    The Girl in the Afternoon: It's okay. I had one of those days today. It was not good for my morale.

    Claire: Probably...Don't want any invasive species!

    ReplyDelete